late 1930s does Edwardian cotton velvet evening coat
Sold to me as Edwardian, I think this is much more likely very late 1930s, perhaps just pre-war. In a lovely soft blue cotton velvet, with leg of mutton sleeves and simple hook and eye/double button fastening. The back is very slightly longer for a frock coat effect. Very Mary Poppins!
Measures: Shown on a UK 8 mannequin, the fastening was a little loose (I had to clip the chain on the back of the button fastener).
Measured laid flat along the seams with edge to edge front touching.
Bust 34 to 36" max
Hips 38/40" max (could be worn by a little larger, just will not meet at lower front edge)
Underarm to cuff 16"
Condition: Please study numerous photos, as whilst immediately wearable it does have a number of minor flaws to consider before purchase
- Not immediately obvious at all, but there are some scattered age marks throughout the velvet. It has been cleaned.
- worn spot front left of bodice
- small scattered worn spots to lining near hem and one at waist. underarms ok.
- double button fastening is tired but works ok, chain probably replacement
- very slight bunching at hem (being picky)
Bought for me, I'd wear this happily but it seems I have more coats than dresses so am moving some on!