Art Deco vintage black rayon crepe plunge neck dress with oriental cut work detail and bishop’s sleeves
I’ve owned this for years and only ever tried it on... something I’m not even going to attempt now despite the slightly forgiving fabric!
It is slightly flawed but completely wearable as it comes - please read condition and see photos for details.
Vampy cutwork design reminds me of an oriental fretwork screen pattern, and wonderful plunge collar with scalloped edge.
Bishop’s sleeves accentuated with extra shaping darts, to make them more angular than those just gathered on the deep cuff.
Fitted cuffs fasten with hidden snaps. Nice geometric seaming to skirt.
I remember trying this on and I’m sure it is meant to be worn forward over a contrasting chemise or dickie. However you could be daring with some tape to hold in place, or it actually worked quite well worn backless with a belt. I’ve included photos demonstrating this as well, as why not..
Measures: I think a modern 8/10 as bear in mind has to go over head
Bust 38 flat max
Length from nape to hem 48”
Condition: It is immediately wearable but has various flaws. Has been in clean dry storage in tissue, but I’ve not dry cleaned or risked hand washing. I’m be tried to price accordingly, as it’s still quite a showstopper and so very ‘30s!
- Main issue: old repair to centre front. It’s been patched from behind, can only assume the material was thinning as I can’t actually see any notable damage, more the tiny stitches!
- some dark marks down front side skirt, have not attempted to remove and only noticed when I lightened the pictures a little to show detail
- small light mark to hip, not attempted to remove
- just noticed side seam needs restitching an inch, so I will do before sending
- odd loose thread and missing stitch, bias tape to snaps at cuffs a bit loose